The State University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Nicolae Testemitanu” is a scientific and cultural center of continuous undergraduate and postgraduate education of doctors and pharmacists from the Republic of Moldova. It was founded based on the Institute of Medicine No.1 from Saint Petersburg, evacuated during the World War II in Kislovodsk, and later on transferred to Chisinau together with students and the whole teaching staff under the name of State Institute of Medicine.
This institute started its activity on the 20th October, 1945 and had one faculty, that of General Medicine, that assembled 32 chairs wherein about 1000 students studied at. The teaching process was developed by 130 professors, including 20 PhDs and 23 Doctors in Medical Science.
The foundation of the State Institute of Medicine from Chisinau served as impulse for developing the high medical education and consolidation of the health system from the republic.